Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Any Entrepreneur Must "Play Bigger" for Success

Entrepreneurs must "play bigger" than everyone else if they want to make it.  Playing small is for average people.  I believe we all were made to be elite not average.

Now this point doesn't apply to just making money or your financial picture. It's everything you do in life.



Is there a time where you shrunk in the moment? Of course. We all have experienced this and let's face it. It's a choice we make...shrink or rise to the occasion.


I was in yoga class and one of the staff members said to the teacher before she walked into the class, "If you could say one thing to everyone in the world, what would it be?"  She repeated this to the class and asked us to shout out what we would say to the world.

Many people shouted different things and I blurted out: "play bigger."

I know that was a natural thing that come from within, because I didn't think about it when I said it. I just blurted it out.

I feel that most people generally don't play as big as they are capable of playing. Most people fear "not achieving what they are capable of doing" as opposed to "fearing doing whatever it is they should be doing."  Some people call it fear of success.

I thought about what has separated me from others as far as success achieving financial freedom, staying in good physical shape, volleyball, or whatever else it was I was trying to achieve something at.

The only difference between me and others is hard work, playing bigger, and taking action.

I understand genetics plays a role in comparing people, but I am not 6'10" and that doesn't stop me from going out and being as dominate as I possibly can in volleyball.  I may not be playing pro volleyball, but I can tell you the hard work I have put in has allowed me to be a very solid volleyball player in a community of very talented volleyball players over years. I would argue if some of us had the height, we would have played somewhere professionally in the world.

My point is you have a choice on what you want to do, how you want to do it, and how you react when life throws you challenges.

Many of the successful people (at least financially) that I know have amazing persistence and follow-through and although this is judgmental, I have often thought to myself: "How did that person get to that point?"  You know that has crossed your mind before. Admit it. :)  

The point is the people who can't believe got to "that point" are actually the people who you should most respect, because they have probably worked harder than anyone including you.  They were persistent, did what they said they would do, and had thick-skin when times got tough.

Ponder this...Are you are playing big enough? Are you?  

Feel free to share your thoughts....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this. It puts my fears in perspective, not worth my energy - I heard "Go Big or Go Home" but like the "Play Bigger" - it has more fun in it.